Diesel Multiple Units
Diesel Multiple Units also feature strongly in the ELR diesel fleet and these provide the railway with much needed passenger capacity especially during special events and as an alternative traction for Midweek and Sunday service trains.

Although mostly of the standard Diesel Mechanical variety, we also have an ex-Southern Region Diesel Electric Multiple Unit (DEMU) or 'Thumper' as they are known, unit 207202 (1305 in the original numbering series).

DMUs can be seen in action during the Winter months on Sundays and in Summer working mid-week trains alongside Steam and feature heavily in our Thomas Days and Santa season. We also run a DMU running day every year, usually in early Spring.

Class 104 BRCW 2-Car M50455 & M50517
Class 105 Cravens 2-Car E51485 & E56121
Class 117 Pressed Steel W51339 & W51382
Class 121 Pressed Steel DTS W56289
Class 122 Gloucester 'Bubble Car' W55001
Class 207 3-DEL 'Thumper' 1305 (207202)
NIR Class 90 DEMU power car 8099

Class 104 BRCW 2-Car
DMBS M50455 & DMCL M50517
Current Status: Stopped for Bodywork attention and Repaint
Current Livery: BR Green with cream 'V' below front windows

DMBS M50455
Driving Motor Brake Second

Built: Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co
Lot No 30293/1957
Power Unit: British United Traction (BUT)
Leyland 150hp x 2
Transmission: Wilson 4-Speed
Epicyclic Gearbox Weight: 31 Tons
Power Output: 150 HP x 2 Length: 57' 6"
Maximum Speed: 70 MPH Height: 12' 9"
Train Brakes: Vacuum Width: 9' 3"

DMCL M50517
Driving Motor Composite with Lavatory
Details as M50455 other than:

Built: Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co
Lot No 30294/1957
www.brcw.co.uk
Birmingham Railcar Workgroup

M50455 and M50517 both entered traffic in (separate) Class 104 3-car sets in 1957; delivered to British Railways' London Midland region to replace steam operated suburban services in the North West of England.

Up until the 1980's, M50455 & M50517 had very similar histories, being allocated first to the North West depots of Longsight and Crewe respectively. Carrying green livery, the two vehicles ran reliably and uneventfully, receiving BR Blue colours during the late 1960's after approximately 10 years in service.

Both were overhauled in the 1970's, being stripped of their lethal asbestos insulation and the obsolete two character route indicators removed from the front ends, changing their outward appearance markedly. The interior fittings and decor remained original as the Class were never included in the DMU life extension programme.

M50455 & M50517 were renumbered M53455 & M53517 in February & May 1983 respectively as part of the 'TOPS' system. By the 1980's Class 104's were also being superseded by new 'Pacer' and 'Sprinter' trains. This is where the histories of M50455 & M50517 diverge.

53455 (M50455)
53455 migrated South to the London area to operate outer suburban lines which were still to be electrified. In 1988 the vehicle was one of eight Class 104's (four 2-car sets) selected for refurbishment and emerged from Doncaster Works in the striking multi-coloured Network SouthEast livery as part of set L702.

L702 was later split up and 53455 became part of set L730 with other vehicles, being used mostly on the Gospel Oak to Barking route. In January 1992 the service was given over to Class 115 units, seeing 53455 transferred to the Reading area, working 'Thames Line' trains until finally being displaced by Class 165 DMUs. With more thoroughly refurbished vehicles, such as Class 108s, still available, 53455 was taken out of service in September 1992.

53517 (M50517)
53517 headed in the opposite direction during the 1980's, being transferred to Scotland where it became part of a 3-car set numbered '456'. In 1989, 53517 returned South of the border, back to North West England, being formed in 2-car 'power twin' set CH611. Initially this saw a return to the Manchester area with a further transfer to Chester Depot, the last place to see 104s in the North. 53517 was taken out of service in May 1990.

M50455 & M50517 were secured by the Birmingham Railcar Workgroup in 1992 and moved to the Churnet Valley Railway where they were selected as the best pair of vehicles in the group's care and therefore most worthy of restoration. Both vehicles were painstakingly restored to 1960's condition over the following 12 years, entering CVR service in September 2004.

Ten years of successful operation followed before the set was relocated to the ELR in November 2014 to join the DMU fleet there.

The 104 set will made a brief debut at the ELR DMU Theme Day on Saturday 14th March 2015 before being taken back out of service for bodywork repairs and a full repaint. It is hoped to have M50455 & M50517 in regular use soon.

See the Birmingham Railcar Workgroup Website for more details
www.brcw.co.uk

A small selection of photographs of M50455 & M50517
Click on any thumnail to view the gallery
Class 105 Cravens 2-Car
DMBS E51485 & DTCL E56121
Current Status: Major Restoration Project
Current Livery: BR Green

DMBS E51485
Driving Motor Brake Second

Built: Cravens Ltd, Sheffield
Lot No 30503/1959
Power Unit: British United Traction (BUT)
AEC 150hp x 2
Transmission: Wilson 4-Speed
Epicyclic Gearbox Weight: 30½ Tons
Power Output: 150 HP x 2 Length: 57' 6"
Maximum Speed: 70 MPH Height: 12' 7"
Train Brakes: Vacuum Width: 9' 3"

DTCL E56121
Driving Trailer Composite with Lavatory

Built: Cravens Ltd, Sheffield Length: 57' 6"
Lot No 30281/1956 Height: 12' 7"
Weight: 23 Tons Width: 9' 3"
The Cravens Class 105 DMU has been a long-term restoration project. The set was split at Bury with the trailer car going to Buckley Wells Carriage and Wagon Works (South End of the site) for extensive bodywork repairs while the power car remained at Castlecroft where initial electrical and mechanical was undertaken.

The power car spent a number of years inside Castlecroft shed and has since relocated to join the trailer at Buckley Wells. The set has been completely stripped inside and will be something of sight to behold when the project is completed. Both cars were displayed in Platform 4 at the 2013 DMU Running Day, allowing a sneak preview of the progress.

Much of the external work on 56121 is now complete with the power car now having bodywork repairs as well as further work on the engines and control systems.
A small selection of photographs of 51485 & 56121
Click on any thumnail to view the gallery
Class 117 Pressed Steel 2-Car
DMBS W51339 & DMS W51382 (117313)
Current Status: Operational
Current Livery: BR Green with cream 'V' below front windows
DMBS W51339
Driving Motor Brake Second

Built: Pressed Steel Co Ltd
Lot No 30546/1959
Power Units: British United Traction (BUT)
Leyland 150hp x 2
Transmission: Wilson 4-Speed
Epicyclic Gearbox Weight: 36 Tons
Power Output: 150 HP x 2 Length: 64' 0"
Maximum Speed: 70 MPH Height: 12' 8½"
Train Brakes: Vacuum Width: 9' 3"

DMS W51382
Driving Motor Second
Details as W51339 above other than:

Built: Pressed Steel Co Ltd
Lot No 30548/1959

More details to follow regarding 51339 & 51382. Both cars have recently been repainted by the Heritage Painting team, see their website, link below.

www.heritage-painting.com

A small selection of photographs of the Class 117 set
Click on any thumnail to view the gallery

Class 121 Pressed Steel Trailer
DTS W56289 Driving Trailer Second
Current Status: Undergoing Repair
Current Livery: BR Blue
Built: Pressed Steel Co Ltd
Lot No 30519/1960
Weight: 29⅓ Tons
Length: 64' 6"
Height: 12' 4"
Width: 9' 3"
W56289 is often paired with Class 122, W55001, so the photographs are combined into one gallery further down the page.

Class 122 Gloucester Single Car
DMBS W55001/L101 Driving Motor Brake Second
Current Status: Operational
Current Livery: BR Blue
Built: Gloucester Railway Carriage
and Wagon Company Ltd
Lot No 30419/1958
Power Units: British United Traction (BUT)
Leyland 150hp x 2
Transmission: Wilson 4-Speed
Epicyclic Gearbox Weight: 36 Tons
Power Output: 150 HP x 2 Length: 64' ½"
Maximum Speed: 70 MPH Height: 12' 8½"
Train Brakes: Vacuum Width: 9' 3"
W55001 is often paired with Class 121 trailer, W56289, the photographs are combined below.
A small selection of photographs of W56289 & W55001
Click on any thumnail to view the gallery
Class 207/3-DEL
207202/207005/1305
Current Status: Stored pending Major Bodywork Repairs
Current Livery: Southern Green with small Yellow Warning Panel
Running Number: 1305 (Last ran with just DMBSO and DTSO)
DMBSO 60130
Driving Motor Brake Second Open

Built: British Railways Eastleigh
Lot No 30625/1962
Power Unit: English Electric 4SRKT MkII
Electrical Equipment: English Electric Weight: 56 Tons
Power Output: 600 HP Length: 64' 0"
Maximum Speed: 75 MPH Height: 12' 4½
Train Brakes: Electro-Pneumatic Air Width: 8' 6"

DTSO 60904
Driving Trailer Second Open

Built: British Railways Eastleigh
Lot No 30627/1962
Weight: 32 Tons
Length: 64' 0"
Height: 12' 4½"
Width: 8' 6"

TSOL 70549
Trailer Second Open with Lavatory, from 4-CEP 411567 (Originally 7200) and is slightly wider than the Class 207 cars as can be seen in some of the photos below.

Built: British Railways Eastleigh
Lot No 30620/1961
Weight: 32 Tons
Length: 64' 6"
Height: 12' 6"
Width: 9' 0"

As new, 3D 1305 had a 'paint date' of 01-05-1962 and was outshopped from Eastleigh Works, although the underframes were fabricated at Ashford Works. It entered traffic in all-over green livery and was formed of 60130, 60604 and 60904, allocated to St Leonards depot for maintenance. It was repainted once in green livery, gained plain blue around August 1968 and blue/grey livery during 1981, being renumbered 207005 in June 1986.

It was stripped of blue asbestos at Swindon Works between 10-11-1984 and 20-4-1985. Following the closure of St Leonards depot in October 1987, 207005's maintenance base become Selhurst and it saw use on the 'Oxted' and 'Marshlink' lines. Conversion to a 2-car, renumbered 207102, begain in October 1991 with TC 60604 being withdrawn and later scrapped at Meyer Newman, Snailwell. The 2-car conversion included the construction of gangways between the coaches and the internal partition in 60904 was removed, whilst the Guard's compartment gained a doorway into the saloon. Flourescent lighting and a PA system were fitted at Eastleigh and it went into traffic in its new form in February 1992, used on the Marshlink line as the droplight windows were not restricted, ruling out use on the Oxted line.

Introduction of through Brighton-Ashford trains from 28 May 1995 saw the unit made-up to a 3-car again, with ex-4CEP trailer coach 70549 inserted. The unit was then renumbered 207202 and was named at Brighton on 3rd June 1995. Despite working solely Brighton-Ashford, 207202 was still based at Selhurst for maintenance purposes.

The unit was overhauled at Eastleigh between 02-10 and 05-11-1998 and released in Connex livery with droplight opening restrictions fitted to enable it to be used on the Oxted line. The 4CEP centre coach was removed during the leaf-fall seasons and several short periods between 1998 and 2001. DTS 60904 was slightly damaged when the unit hit a car on Forge Farm crossing in April 2001 and was repaired at Eastleigh, returning 1st of June the same year.

The unit was fitted with TPWS at Selhurst in March 2003 and continued in service until its last passenger journey which was 21.00 Uckfield-East Croydon, 17th August 2004. It then moved to Redhill 24th of August 2004 where it was damaged by graffiti vandals. 207202 arrived at Bury during October 2004 where graffiti was removed and a repaint into all-over green as 1305 took place.
A small selection of photographs of 207202/1305
Click on any thumnail to view the gallery
NIR Class 80
Power Car 8099
Current Status: Non-operational (See notes at the bottom)
Current Livery: NIR 'Regional Railways' Style Blue
Built: British Railways Engineering
Limited (BREL) 1979
Power Unit: English Electric 4SRKT
Electrical Equipment: English Electric Weight: 61 Tons
Power Output: 560 HP Length: 64' ¾"
Maximum Speed: 70 MPH Height: 12' 6"
Train Brakes: Electro-Pneumatic Air Width: 9' 3"
8099 was purchased initially as a source of spares for Class 207, 207202/1305. On arrival 8099 stood on a short section of 5'3" track but was later lifted and placed onto standard gauge bogies, allowing easier movement around Bury buy rail.

Despite now being equipped with standard gauge bogies, there are no plans to resurrect 8099 as an operational unit. Affectionately known as 'Paddy', 8099 acts as a workshop and stores for the Class 15 Preservation Society who are working on the restoration of Class 15, D8233 and Metrovic CoBo D5705. More details can be found at their website: www.d8233.org.uk

More photos of 8099 to follow soon
8099 beside Buckley Wells Shed where it is in use as both workshop and stores by the Class 15 Preservation Society, 19th of May 2013 © Andy Slater

With such a large fleet of different locomotives it can be easy for those which are out of service undergoing restoration or essential repairs to get 'lost' or forgotten about. The following is a selection of links to individual locomotive group appeal pages. If you have a little to spare towards a favourite cause they will be extremely happy to hear from you.